Thursday, November 24, 2011

We Live By Faith Not By Sight



What is the difference between living by faith and living by sight (senses)? Let us illustrate the examples of each one to see their differences. To live by sight (or senses) is to live in this physical world with all its physical realities. We use our five senses, our own strength, our own resources, our connections, our human intelligence and our inter social activities with other people. We live by the standards set forth by man. When we get sick we see our doctor and take the prescribed medicines. We breathe, we live and die by the standards of men.

Not so with those who live by faith. They live by the standards of God. They cling to God's promises even if the physical reality says otherwise. They cling to the very idea that all things are possible with God. They have surrendered their will to God and have let God have a free reign in their lives.

Let me illustrate this with my own personal example to see how God works with individual persons. My eldest sister had recurring hypertension for just a little over two years and had diligently taken her prescribed medicines. When her finances got strained, she failed to take them for about a week. She got a massive stroke that almost resulted in her death. She was confined at the intensive care unit of a hospital for two months. Lately when I visited her, she was so emaciated and could no longer talk. She had her eyes almost bulging out of their sockets. I have a brother in the province whom I was not even aware had diabetes like me. It was probably very recent only. I was shocked to hear that his right leg was already amputated because of his diabetes.

Then I consider God's protection and guidance over me. I have hypertension for more than 20 years now and diabetes for about 10 years and have been in the valley of the shadow of death so many times that I lost count already. It has been two years since I last saw a doctor although I am regularly taking my prescribed hypertension and diabetes medicines. I was scheduled for three major operations two years ago which did not push through due to some problems. After all those years, I am still alive and relatively healthy to give glory to God and becoming a living testimony to His goodness and grace. Not that I commend myself for what I am doing but I am giving all the praises and glory to my living God who provides for all my needs and have never left me nor forsaken me. TO HIM BE GLORY, HONOR, PRAISE AND THANKSGIVING FOREVERMORE.



Tags: God, Jesus Christ, Holy Spirit, Living By Faith, Live By Sight, Living Faith, Grace, Trust in The Lord

Posted by: Mel Avila Alarilla

13 comments:

A Walk Through Life said...

sad to hear about what your siblings went through. May the Lord give them the gift of complete healing. I pray that the Lord will continue to put you in the best of health so that you can continue to spread God's greatness and mercy. God bless you, brother Mel.

Arvin U. de la Peña said...

Iyan ang maganda, sa kabila na may dinaramdam ka na hypertension at diabetes ay patuloy ka pa rin na lumalaban sa buhay dahil naroon ang tiwala mo sa ating Panginoon......

Mel Avila Alarilla said...

Hi Meretrisha,
My sister already died and my brother is still languishing in Bacolod City with his right foot already amputated. Probably I am nearing death myself but the Lord has been gracefully sustaining me for my kids (since my wife is in the US and I am left alone to be the sole parent of them) and for those I minister in the internet. For all these, TO GOD BE THE GLORY. Thanks for your visit and comments. God bless you all always.

Mel Avila Alarilla said...

Hi Arvin,
I already placed my life in the hands of the Lord. Let His will in my life be done. Thanks for your visit and comments. God bless you always.

Mel Avila Alarilla said...

HI Meretrisha,
I have accepted everything from the hands of the Lord- both good and bad. I trust Him with all my heart that he will do the best for all of us. Thanks for your visit and comments. God bless you all always.

kimmy said...

I wish i could have that much faith, Sir Mel. But sometimes, I can't help worrying over things that are beyond my control. Maybe in due time I would learn to really let go and let the Lord direct me to how my life should be then I would learn not to worry at all. Thanks for another inspiring post. God bless..

Mel Avila Alarilla said...

Hi Kimmy,
As long as we exercise our own will over and above God's will, we will never see the fruition of God's promises to us. I am amazed at how God answers my prayers, even the mundane ones. All I can say is, TO GOD BE THE GLORY. Thanks for your visit and comments. God bless you always.

rugged breed said...

We really live by faith not by sight, everything in the world is possible only if we have faith, Nice post!

Zero Dramas

Mel Avila Alarilla said...

Hi Adel,
Yes, you are right. The world will be a better place to live in if people will live by faith and not by sight. Thanks for your visit and comments. God bless.

SavvyMama said...

wow, matagal tagal narin pala yung HBP mo kuyaMel at tsaka yung diabetes mo...glad to know that you are doing great and healthy...God is good!

Mel Avila Alarilla said...

Hi Dhemz,
Yes, half of my life, I was already suffering from life threatening sicknesses. It is by the grace of God that I am still alive to give glory to His name. Thanks for your visit and comments. God bless you all always.

☆Mama Ko☆ said...

sorry to hear about your sister Sir Mel and your brother. siguro nasa family ang mga karamdaman na ganyan kasi mama ko rin high blood at diabetic rin tulad ng mama nya at late lolo namin. Anyway, you Sir mel is the living example of what you said living by faith. If other person have the same health condition like yours, probably that person will be feeling bitter and find someone to blame of his/her condition. But you handled it differently. You still able to helped other and think of other than yourself. I always include you in my prayer Sir Mel, kahit hindi ako nagsisimba i believed that God listens to our hearts prayer. May God bless you ad your family. Merry Christmas

Mel Avila Alarilla said...

Hi Shy,
Your comment brought a smile on my lips and joy in my heart. I always appreciate your comments because of their sincerity and you are very transparent about yourself. Never kang naging plastic. Thanks for your prayers and words of comfort but in all these, TO GOD BE THE GLORY. Thanks for your visit and comments. God bless you all always.


"Today, if you hear His voice, do not harden your hearts" (Hebrews 4:7b)

DO YOU NEED HELP? ARE YOU IN THE DARK? CAN'T FIND YOUR WAY AROUND? NEED A FRIEND WHO WILL STICK WITH YOU THROUGH THICK OR THIN OR WHEN EVERYBDOY ELSE HAS DESERTED YOU?

Please click here: http://www.andiesisle.com/He-Will-Be.html

AND YOU WILL FIND THE ANSWER.


Tingnan ang buong laki ng larawan

Hear Il Divo's Amazing Rendition of Amazing Grace at the Coliseum in Rome, Italy

Please click here




Divine Providence